History of the Fort Harmar Rifle Club
The Fort Harmar Rifle Club Founder's Objectives:
- To Protect and Defend the Constitution of the United States of America and the individual Liberty of its Citizens.
- To encourage rifle and pistol shooting in accordance with the Constitution and the club's by-laws.
- To encourage all individuals to exercise their Constitutional 'Right to Keep and Bear Arms'.
- To provide a facility for the use of the members and their guests to engage in the shooting sports.
- To promote, sanction and conduct various competitions and maintain an interest in the shooting sports.
- To promote the shooting sports among the youth and youth groups in the community.
- To promote public safety, law and order and national defense.
- To promote hunter safety and conservation of our natural resources.
- To promote a solid relationship between our club and our community, state and country.
The Fort Harmar Rifle Club was established in 1926 by a group of local shooting enthusiasts. The logo represents the original pentagonal palisade of Fort Harmar, with its blockhouses at its vertices. The laurel leaves are the ancient Roman award for excellence in competition. The target conveys the focus of the organization. This work of art was created by Mr. Richard Malin, member and long time supporter. Our thanks for his most excellent creation.
The clubs first range was located on the Airolite property in Oak Grove.
In May, 1931 the club affiliated with the National Rifle Association
In 1935, we bought the land in Oak Grove, where the indoor range is still used for rifle and pistol shooting matches and training.
In 1991, we bought over 100 acres of land on Washington County Road #12 and the outdoor range was moved to this site. This land allows the shooting of more than one match at a time and gives us the ability to fire at ranges of up to 300 yards.
We continue working to improve our facilities and add more shooting sport capabilities.
We invite you to come out and watch or participate in a match! If you like what you see, JOIN US